Saturday, December 24, 2005

This year's Christmas compilation

Thought I had a nice Christmas mix this year; then the wife critiqued, "My God, that's depressing. It makes me want to slit my wrists." Since I was going for a melancholy/wintery/jazzy mix I knew I was close. I reluctantly dropped the Tom Waits - "Christmas Card from a Hooker" really doesn't mention christmas, spread out Ellington's Nutcracker, bracketed the more downer selections, and added a couple of lighter tunes.

Ok, now we're cooking. I'm thinking this really works. A couple songs are a bit on the down side, but they're not without hope. Then there's my find of the season, Prudence Johnson singing Cantique de Noel. The beauty of this song should carry throughout the rest of the mix. I give a copy to a friend who later tells me, "That's the most depressing CD I've ever listened to."

Cripes, they think this is depressing, wait until next year. Everyone has 11 months to learn to appreciate good music or else.

I have a spare CD burned and ready to go. If anyone wishes to email me an address I'll stick it in the mail. (dontreadmeATgmailDOT.com)

Hope it doesn't drive you to drink.
Merry Christmas,
Bill

1. Christmas Wrapping, The Waitresses
2. Toot Toot Tootie Toot, Duke Ellington
3. Fairytale of New York, The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl
4. Peanut Brittle Brigade, Duke Ellington
5. Cantique de Noel, Prudence Johnson
6. Sugar Rum Cherry, Duke Ellington
7. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square, Manhattan Transfer
8. Chinoiserie, Duke Ellington
9. Port Starboard Sox, The McGarrigle Sisters
10. Back Door Santa, Clarence Carter
11. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Jackson 5
12. Santa's Blues, Charles Brown
13. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Jimmy Smith
14. Christmastime, Aimee Mann & Michael Penn
15. Rudolph the Manic Reindeer, Los Lobos
16. Talking Christmas Goodwill Blues, John Wesley Harding
17. I Believe in You, Sinead O'Connor
18. Auld Lang Syne, Michael Doucet
19. Dueling Christmas Carols, Joe Soucheray & Patrick Reusse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home