Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Recent license plates

Wherein it's always me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me


If I did get a vanity plate, if would be random number and letters.

KC CRIP
On a Georgia license plate. What's the first thing you thought of? What do you think you would see if you googled "KC Crip"? Are you thinking young or old? Black or white? I'll just say the driver was doing a very good impression of the least positive thought you could have.

Top Gumm 2
Also on a GA plate. Actually, kinda cute if for a dentist and got half a chuckle out of me.


Overall, personalized plates annoy me. I see them as both a sign of insecurity and a need for attention. Even more so than bumper stickers. And what's the point? You have to spend more money, a government employee has to approve it, and you have 7 or 8 spaces to get across your message. And that message is always "please look at me, I'm a pathetic loser."

Maybe it's your name. Why should anyone care who you are? If we cared you wouldn't need to advertise it. Some are advertising and if it involves the actual business name, then fine. So looking at Top Gumm 2 all we have is a profession and the potential that there is a Top Gumm 1. If we did have the thought that "My, that witticsm cut me to the quick and that's just the type of person I want sticking his hands in my mouth" we'd have no way to find the person.

The worst have to be the ones that identify the car. You know, having a corvette with the plate reading MY VETTE. Thanks for the assist, couldn't figure that one out on my own. Goober.

Had a friend once say she was thinking about getting a personalized plate. I told her, no matter what she got my opinion of her would have to lessen. (Kinda like people who watch Family Guy). Soon after she moved to California and I never heard from her again. Probably got a plate reading SCRW BLL. Sorry, there is just no upside to the vanity plate. So, please, don't get a personalized plate or if you do, don't tell me. Because I will have to give you the look of scorn and the half-head shake of disappointment.

7 Comments:

Blogger reader_iam said...

Wow! So your opinion lessened of me a few weeks back when I mentioned that I sometimes watch "Family Guy"?

That's OK: My father's opinion of me lessened when I said I liked rock music, and I've been living with that for more than 35 years.

2/28/2006 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

I do my best not to let it bother me, but it's always there in the back of my mind.

2/28/2006 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

Back when I was young and foolish and driving a beat up 57 Chevy 4 door with the straight six and three on the tree hand spray painted with flames in front black on the sides fading to a riot of colors in the back, I had a personalized plate that was LEROY57.

For the first few weeks I wondered how people knew my name while I was tooling around the city, needless to say, haven't had a personalized plate since (and I so wanted 57JEBBY but in CA that was long gone along with any other variant spelling of the word Chevy)

2/28/2006 03:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A certain VP from down the hall at work has a vanity plate that reads "Risk" on his BMW roadster.

3/01/2006 07:24:00 AM  
Blogger Bet On Me said...

I have entire collection of vanity plate photos at http://www.pl8s.org.
Do I have to be ashamed?

3/09/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A top guy at the "Church" of $cientology here in Orlando drives an Avalon with "TOP GUMM" on his plates.

Why do I call it the "Church" of $cientoloty? Read more at www.xenu.net or just Wikipedia Scientology.

9/14/2008 03:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a bill kiss my ass this is kc crip yes stop talking about my tag and get a life somthing bad could happen to u people know me leave me and my car tag alone and get a life u have no idea what kc crip means there 4 stop talking about things u dont know or under stand i bet your a conservertive white male who has problems geting a date and dreams of your mom naked fuck off

7/11/2010 07:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home