Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Twenty songs from 1971

Wherein More Details are available

Wow, the Bee Gees charted in 1971, just goes to show what I remember. Here’s Albert Brooks recalling opening for Richie Havens in San Antonio:

...San Antonio is a different story. Let me think of the best way to describe it, in case you don’t know. You will hear, read, see, think, draw, imagine, dream, vomit up the word Alamo until you want to go and hire the Cleveland Wrecking Company and break it down yourself. The Alamo is there, everything in the town is named after it. Every human, every building, every everything.

Alamo drugstore - no we don’t thank you; Alamo drycleaning - in by 10 out by 5; Alamo movie theater - 8:30, 10:30, 12:30; Alamo Mortuary - no, he’s dead. Every person walking the street: There’s Alamo Bradley and his wife Alamina. Little Alamo, Jr.

This concert was supposed to start at 8 o’clock. I was in the lobby of the hotel at 7:30, met Ritchie and his band. Got in the station wagon. Very easy going guy. Talked to me for awhile, talked to the wagon for a bit. Wasn’t a hard man to get along with. At 10 minutes to 8 we get to this place that no performing should have been done in, ever. It was originally built to store manure for the rest of the world. At eight O two, two minutes after eight, not 8:30, not 8:45, 6,000 people are in place going RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE. 30 minutes, 45 minutes you can handle. Two minutes is just silly. How did all these people get organized that quickly? RITCHIE RITCHIE. I’m trying to dance to it, make a rthym song. He’s sitting there acknowledging - hey, that’s me. I know it is, Ritchie.

I was begging for a disc jockey to be there to introduce me. Usually, I hate it. But I wanted the disc jockey there because the audience would get some of their hostility off on him. Audience hate disc jockeys. And they have a right to, because generally, for the most part, disc jockeys are the worst human beings in the world. This is not my opinion, this is a medical fact. So it’s not me who’s saying it. The AMA came out with a report about 6 months ago listing the three worst human beings in the world. First, were incurable lepers; second was disc jockey; third was curable lepers. In between the lepers.


Grade: B-

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1971
1. Joy To The World, Three Dog Night
2. Maggie May / (Find A) Reason To Believe, Rod Stewart
3. It's Too Late / I Feel The Earth Move, Carole King
4. One Bad Apple, Osmonds
5. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, Bee Gees
6. Indian Reservation, Paul Revere and the Raiders
7. Go Away Little Girl, Donny Osmond
8. Take Me Home, Country Roads, John Denver
9. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Temptations
10. Knock Three Times, Dawn
91. I Am...I Said, Neil Diamond
92. Wedding Song (There Is Love), Paul Stookey
93. Don't Knock My Love, Pt. 1, Wilson Pickett
94. Love Her Madly, The Doors
95. Here Comes The Sun, Richie Havens
96. Sweet Mary, Wadsworth Mansion
97. Right On The Tip Of My Tongue, Brenda and The Tabulations
98. One Less Bell To Answer, Fifth Dimension
99. Riders On The Storm, The Doors
100. It's Impossible, Perry Como

1 Comments:

Anonymous DALE DAWSON said...

I atteneded this show when I was 13years old. The audience was rude as ever booing Albert Brooks during his entire comic stint. There should never have been a comedian opening. After the show my brother and I waited for my sister to pick us up near back stage. Richie and his band were waiting for a station wagon to take them to their hotel. He was generous to talk with us and about ten other people about how he loved the Texas skies and his experience at Woodstock. Very friendly. I noticed the comedian standing near the door and went up to him and told him what a great show he put on. The man practically had tears in his eyes and thanked me. I felt so bad for him. I did'nt find out it was the soon to be famous actor/ comedian Albert Brooks until many years later. I was lucky enough to meet Richie again in Boulder, Co about three years ago. Still a gem! This Concert was at the Municipal Auditorium September 3rd around 1971. The San Antonio audiences were hard core back then. They booed the Rolling Stones off the stage in favor of Paul Peterson in 1962. In 1973 I attended Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick' tour. A new band "The Eagles opened up and were booed off after 30 minutes of their "Country Music'. The next time you hear of an act being rejected by a San Antonio audience, take notice. It seems to motivate them to success!

8/16/2009 12:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home