Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Twenty songs from 1979

Wherein More Details are available

This is a fun year. Gotta respect a year that gets My Sharona to the top. Even most of the nongood songs hold up well and should get a smile from most people. Come on, Do ya think I’m sexy is freakin’ hilarious. (reading this four months after I wrote it, the "come on" is me channeling Job from the now canceled Arrested Development. Thought I should mention that as even I have a hard time remembering my cultural references).

Grade: B, for the shear volume of fun fluffy flufferness.

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1979
1. My Sharona, The Knack
2. Bad Girls, Donna Summer
3. Le Freak, Chic
4. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, Rod Stewart
5. Reunited, Peaches and Herb
6. I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor
7. Hot Stuff, Donna Summer
8. Y.M.C.A., Village People
9. Ring My Bell, Anita Ward
10. Sad Eyes, Robert John
91. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Michael Jackson
92. Bad Case Of Lovin' You, Robert Palmer
93. Somewhere In The Night, Barry Manilow
94. We've Got Tonite, Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band
95. Dance The Night Away, Van Halen
96. Dancing Shoes, Nigel Olsson
97. The Boss, Diana Ross
98. Sail On, Commodores
99. I Do Love You, G.Q.
100. Strange Way, Firefall

2 Comments:

Blogger reader_iam said...

My dear Bill:

We might still have shared a beer back then (if it weren't illegal, of course, ahem), but would probably have squabbled over choice of music.

We're diverging as we go on! (I'd do a bunch of cross outs on this list, for example.) I'm looking forward to the next few years and trusting that we'll start converging again ...

Big smile.

3/22/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

I probably could have crossed out a lot music of the 70s than I did, so blame nostalgia. A lot of it was "hey! I remember that song!" Followed by humming and admitting it wasn't horrible. Not saying a lot of these are great or I'd spend money on them, just that I could handle listening to them about once a year.

Also, this was the only music I knew in the 70s - Kasey Kasem's top 40 and classic rock. It's not like the 80s when I knew there was brilliant music out there and none of it made the mainstream airwaves.

3/23/2006 08:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home