Thursday, March 30, 2006

Twenty songs from 1987

Wherein More Details are available
About the only thing to say about 1987 is it isn't 1986. Rock on. Or, apparently, not. I'm much more a fan of the Bangles first album, it was much more soulful than the overproduced "Walk Like an Egyptian."

Trying to remember if it was 1987 that I saw Bob Seger. Pretty sure it was earlier in the decade but screw it, this year needs a story. Jason took a bus down from St. Cloud State for a Bob Seger. Afterwards, I took everyone to Duffy's for drinks and Jason dragged us out of there in a hurry because he said some guy hit on him. Then we dropped him off at the Greyhound station for his bus ride back and some guy was killed in a knife fight.

Grade D

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1987
1. Walk Like An Egyptian, Bangles
2. Alone, Heart
3. Shake You Down, Gregory Abbott
4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me), Whitney Houston
5. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, Starship
6. C'est La Vie, Robbie Nevil
7. Here I Go Again, Whitesnake
8. The Way It Is, Bruce Hornsby and the Range
9. Shakedown, Bob Seger
10. Livin' On A Prayer, Bon Jovi
91. Victory, Kool and The Gang
92. Don't Get Me Wrong, Pretenders
93. Doing It All For My Baby, Huey Lewis and The News
94. Right On Track, Breakfast Club
95. Ballerina Girl, Lionel Richie
96. Meet Me Half Way, Kenny Loggins
97. I've Been In Love Before, Cutting Crew
98. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right To Party, Beastie Boys
99. Funkytown, Pseudo Echo
100. Love You Down, Ready For The World

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

I can't believe you are hating on Whitesnake, I saw them at the Fabulous Forum (hard to believe they could sell out a goddamn arena back then, opening act, the since notorious for that fire in RI, Great White).

Also saw Motley Crue the same year, also at the Forum.

But the best headbanger's ball I went to was Venom and Megadeath at the Santa Monica Civic.

(Did I mention that I was dating a Russian chick who was a big fan of Aquanet and Hair Metal?)

(and I saw the Bangles at the Greek Theatre that year also if that's any consolation (but not with my Hair Metal fan girlfriend).

3/30/2006 01:59:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

I will always hate on headbanging hair metal bands and my child will learn to do the same if she knows what's good for her.

Buncha fake, crap music. Go back and read the introductory notes, because you were warned.

3/30/2006 06:21:00 AM  
Blogger Icepick said...

Whitesnake by 1987 deserves to be hated, although mostly for being dull. "Slide It In" was a good album with one great song (Slow & Easy) and three or four good to very good songs. But by 1987 they had gone completely commercial, and were totally dull. On the other hand, I think Tawney Kittane was still in their videos.

And just to be clear, X, Megadeth is most assurdedly NOT hair metal, and is spelled with only one 'a'.

3/30/2006 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home