Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I call this one a lack of perspective

Wherein I'm just an overprivileged white dude...or am I?


On my way home, I drive past the Sandy Springs City Hall. Yesterday, there were sign-wielding protestors and the one I could read said "Sandy Springs the most racist city in America." Oh my, this is bad. I wonder what happened.

Luckily I found a news story:
“They don’t want us out here -- that’s the message that we’re getting,” said protest organizer Donald Fields.

The protestors who converged on Sandy Springs City Hall on Tuesday night did not mince words.

“Racism has taken a foothold in Sandy Springs. There are African Americans that have lived here most of their lives and they don't deserve to be treated like this," Fields said.

This must be bad. Oh, wait...nevermind:
The demonstrators, who lined the sidewalk and packed the city council meeting, are opposed to a proposal that would stop the sale of alcohol at 2 a.m. instead of 4 a.m.

That's it? That's all you got? You have got to be kidding. I think there's a legitimate economic argument to made about keeping the bars open until 4am. Personally, I see no reason why a bar shouldn't be open 24 hours if it wanted to. And I think it's a stupid law that keeps liquor stores closed on Sundays. But...but...but to complain that closing the bars 2 hours earlier is racist is just insane. If this is what we're now defining as racism I can only conclude that the United States of America is a Xanadu of racial harmony.

Maybe I should start protesting in front of grocery stores because Neopolitan ice cream promotes segregation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home