Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'll take the United States and the Czech Republic to advance; not necessarily in that order

Wherein let's see if there's anything to this wisdom of the crowds


The Washington Post Soccer Blog is taking predictions on Group E.

I took all responses through May 16, 2006 02:19 PM and tallied if people thought the U.S. team would advance. I only counted clear choices and did not count wishy-washy answers that refused to answer the question (if this and this and this happens, they could win).

Will Advance: 17
Won't Advance: 11

A clear majority is picking Team America to advance! And while I didn't count the Czech responses, it seemed that Czechs were slightly favored over the Italians to also advance. Maybe the Italian scandal will keep them distracted. The big problem is that whoever finishes second in Group E is almost guaranteed to play Brazil.

There were a few responses that are my greatest fear: this is the best U.S. team ever, but the group is too tough and they won't advance.

And my favorite reason for why the U.S. will win is that even our art students kick Eurotrash ass:
I was studying in Florence during WC 2002 (which was great cause all our classes were canceled to watch soccer, take that art appretiation!) and the day Italy lost to South Korea was the blackest day I've even seen. No joke, after the game you could hear the city getting quieter. People were crying in the streets. Bars were packed but no one was talking. Complete stunned silence for the entire day. It was eerie.

To be honest I got pretty frusterated with the Italian coverage of the WC. They were unbearably whiney. Everything was a conspiracy against them. Grown men acting like the biggest broken down drama queens. I would very much like the US to be the cause of their grief this time around.

... oh, and after we lost to Germany I was accosted by some drunk German students outside a bar. I shoved one into a smart car and its window broke so they ran off.

Posted by: willmmmm | May 12, 2006 04:39 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Pooh said...

Color me skeptical. For some reason, I see us kicking the Italians up and down the field, yet losing 1-0 to a scuffly Pippo Inzaghi goal in about the 82nd minute.

5/17/2006 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Forgot to include my other favorite comment. After one predicted Hejduk would score an own goal, someone else replied:
thank you for the analysis, but Frankie Hejduk won't be onthe field. He has a torn ACL and was replaced by Chris Albright. Albright will not give up an own goal because the opposing player will be closer to goal than he.


ha ha

5/17/2006 05:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home