Monday, May 29, 2006

Of course I'm not the target audience

Wherein I'm betting the next one will be called "Fast and Furious: Greased Lightning at Rydell High"


So we're at the matinee for Stick It. One day this movie will be recognized as the flashpoint that corrected the corruption otherwise known as the sport of gymnastics. Actually, it's a fine, fun movie. Totally implausible but does offer some nice comments on judging inequity. Plus, Jeff Bridges makes a pretty good coach and Missy Peregrym wears a nice leotard. She's over eighteen, I can say that.

One of the previews offered up was The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. As I've avoided the previous two I'll also avoid this one. But the gist of the story seems to be that in Tokyo the hip thing to do with cars is to glide them through the curves. Kinda cool...but why does this sound familiar? Oh yeah, now I remember. Because I read about it in Wired magazine three freakin' years ago!

Check out Go, Skid Racer Go as Wired reports on the "out-of-control car culture of Japan's meanest streets is coming to America." That's in 2003. Meaning the Japanese probably stopped drifting in 1983.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home