Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Nothing shows off a refusal to proof-read and spell-check like seeing your work quoted in another blog

Wherein "waht" indeed


The blog A List Of Things Thrown Five Minutes Ago wrote about the AFI Inspirational 100 movie list. I write a post attempting to skewer all 100 movies. Well, 69 movies, I was distracted. Now, Throwing Things is linking to my post linking to their post.

With this post the circle is complete.

To quote myself, my favorites:
13. Hoosiers," 1986. A man with a violent past and the town drunk find redemption through the manipulation of teenage boys.

39. "Star Wars," 1977. Inspired George Lucas to make another one, which inspired him to make another one involving those damned teddy bears. Inspired me to never again give him a single penny. Rot in hell, old man.

67. "An Officer and a Gentleman," 1982. Inspired me to never work in a grocery store. Chicks don't dig grocery clerks.

I am also overly fond of If the knife's a duplicate, we must acquit.

7 Comments:

Blogger Icepick said...

You description of "Hoosiers" reminded me then and now of one of my favorite lines of dialogue from "WKRP in Cincinnati".

Johnny: "Jennifer, look what I'm doing to teenage boys!"

6/28/2006 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

As God is my wintess, I don't remember that line. What's the episode?

6/28/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

uh, witness--please refer to title.

6/28/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Icepick said...

Hmm, I don't remember the title. The episode is (one of?) the one(s?) where they get the station's new ratings in. Things are going great, especially for Johnny and Venus, but Andy gets depressed anyway.

Andy realizes that the station should actually be doing better, but rather than fire people like Les and Herb, he's let himself get too attached to people - he's actually made friends in stead of being the ruthless bastard he used to be. I believe Venus ultimately talks him out of the funk.

The line above is from when they're first looking through the book of ratings. Johnny is extremely pleased about how he's doing with one particular demographic, and that's when Jennifer walks into Andy's office. Thus the context for the line above.

Hope that clears things up.

6/28/2006 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Thanks! Still can't recall the line, but it's a great episode.

Acting ability-wise, Andy was probably the weakest link. Though his interactions with Mother Carlson were appropriately creepy.

6/28/2006 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Icepick said...

It's really a throwawy kind of line, but it gave Loni Anderson the chance to give one of the "Okay, that's creepy" smiles that she did so well.

I don't know that Gary Sandy was the weak link acting-wise so much as that his character was just the least interesting. Even Bailey had more quirks, besides just being kind of mousy at the start of the series. (And Jan Smithers, yum.)

6/28/2006 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Icepick said...

It may have been this episode, "Most Improved Station", the last one of Season 2. (Note that Richard Sanders had a writing credit on this one.) This may be the one at the awards banquet, though. I'm just not sure.

But enough of this memory hole stuff. Gotta get back to my spreadsheets.

(Incidentally, this whole internet thing has been worth it just for IMDB. Take away everything else, even the pr0n, and IMDB still makes it the greatest tool of our time.)

6/28/2006 02:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home