Thursday, July 27, 2006

Landis tests positive for testosterone

Wherein I don't know

According to Cycling News, a sample taken after his Stage 17 victory has tested above the allowed threshold for testosterone. This was the A-sample. To be considered confirmed, the B-sample must also test positive and this testing must be done with the rider's representatives present.

For updates on this, follow Cycling News or TDFBlog for a roundup of all stories. I don't have a comment on this yet--let's wait and see if it's confirmed--but for my general comment on performance enhancers in sports, read my earlier This is me and my energy post.

4 Comments:

Blogger Icepick said...

Given the regular testing he would have been receiving during this tour, how would only one sample show up with a postive for testosterone or epitestosterone? Do the effects of the drugs wear off that quickly and that completely?

(I'm asking on the off chance you already know the answer. If not, I'll maybe look it up later.)

7/27/2006 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

The French Whining?

Say it isn't so!

Those Euroweenies probably just aren't used to being in the presence of real men any more.

They think normal American levels of testosterone must be the result of doping, and not that we are a nation of risk takers and strivers and they are nations of wimpy eurocrats.

The results will be 'inconclusive'. That way, the French will let Landis keep his victory, but they'll do what they do best, whine and insinuate the worst about his victory for decades to come.

Good thing Lance only had one nut, or else he would have failed every test for testosterone.

7/27/2006 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Icepick, I don't know. I find it odd that someone could test positive on stage 17, but not 15, 16, or 18. I've heard suggestions he used a "testosterone patch" but I obviously have no idea what's going on and will wait.

XWL, here's a joke I read after Floyd's stage win: Why doesn't Landis play the lottery? Answer: The lottery doesn't have enough balls.

7/27/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Icepick said...

Bill, thanks for the comment. I've read some of the stuff at the TDF Blog. I find the discussion about the t/e ratios very interesting, especially the point that every time this test has been contested, it has been over-turned. Also, it will be interesting to see if Landis had both low testosterone and low epitestostore.

7/27/2006 07:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home