Tuesday, September 19, 2006

If you can't be funny at least have a sense of humor

Wherein remind never to accept an invitation to movie night at Peter Hyman's house


Buried deep in the Slate article Why does everyone try to be funny these days? is the following tidbit:
If you've ever been at a party where some guy trying to tap a keg chimes in with a quip about how "it's all ball bearings nowadays" (a line stolen from the most over-referenced film of all time), then you have had firsthand experience with this crisis.

Huh? Ball bearings? Most over-referenced film of all time? I have no idea what he's talking about. Sure doesn't sound like anything I remember from Stripes or Caddyshack.

According to Google, that's a reference to "Fletch." As previously discussed the "Fletch" movie sucks. No harm in mentioning that again, though.

As long as we're at Slate.com, here's a humorless bit of prose:
When I hear a song for the first time, I'm weighing the technical ability of the artist, the material's emotional relevance, and how the music fits into a larger cultural and political climate.

That's from Matthew Shaer's article on music recommendation sites. Two questions:
  1. How long do you think he spent crafting what he felt would be the perfect encapsulation of his sensitivity and superiority? I put the over/under at 5 hours.
  2. What's wrong with a "it has a good beat and I can dance to it?"

how it fits into a larger cultural and political climate? I can't understand most of the lyrics to the music I listen to, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Other than feeling like John Belushi in Animal House smashing the guitar at the party. Forget about reading his conclusions -- I don't care; Shaer is useless as any sort of cultural commentator or arbiter of taste. I, on the otherhand, would be perfect: is it good or does it suck. I'll leave it up to others to construct degrees of scale.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I'm pretty sure that what the Slate writer was saying in the artcle on "being funny" is in agreement with your point about Fletch. As someone who went to college in the late 80s...It was (and remains) probably the most quoted movie of all time....More so than Caddyshack. Yes, there are others as well that are referenced, but Fletch is up there...He was not praising it, not at all.

9/21/2006 02:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home