Tuesday, September 05, 2006

kentrivia, week ten

Wherein E.G.Daily played herself in Better Off Dead performing at a high school dance. I'm thinking there's a trivia question by listing other bands that appeared in movies performing at high school dances. I was watching Better Off Dead last night and exclaimed, "hey, it's the girl from Pee Wee's Big Adventure!"


Last week's #7:What unusual distinction is shared by these famous folks? Lucille Ball, Joseph G. Cannon, Mia Farrow, KD Lang, John Lennon, Eddie Mathews, and Marilyn Monroe.

I guessed "they all had sexual relations with Frank Sinatra." Ken Jennings' answer is: All seven appeared on the cover of a well-known magazine's very first issue: TV Guide, Time, People, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated, and Playboy, respectively. Which doesn't invalidate my answer, so I'm claiming half a point.

  1. Sonofabeetch. I know this and completely blanked. Guess that means it's time to reread The Right Stuff.
  2. My initial guess was baseball bats, because you need something to kill all those birds. Researching the correct answer wasn't very fruitful; however, it looks like down for jackets might be the correct answer. If so, it's kinda stretching the concept of sports equipment.
  3. Since it isn't really a bean, it's no surprise that olive was wrong. And it has two common names. For a good use of this ingredient, I recommend the Spanish Bean Soup at The Columbia Restaurant. Our Thanskgiving dinner will be there.
  4. Point for this, though it took me a few minutes to remember what it was. Oddly structured question that places too much emphasis on color. Probably a difficult question if you don't have kids.
  5. Finally, an easy one.
  6. If you don't mind, I'll just ignore how wrong my guess was. This a forehead slapper -- as soon as you hear the answer, "Of course!"
  7. Distinction shared by eight cities and no others. Not all are capitals, three are in Florida, none on the West coast. My initial thought leans towards religious orders or missionaries, but I'm doubtful this would be limited to only these eight cities. Perhaps some sort of touring exhibit? If I remember my St. Paul history, I believe it was founded by a stinky drunk living in a cave (close enough); perhaps this is true of the other cities.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On #2, my first thought was a racquet game....

9/05/2006 01:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Briefly considered shuttlecock, but don't think I've ever seen real feathers.

9/05/2006 01:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Competition shuttlecocks and "serious" players use the real ones, with cork and feathers.

9/05/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger ACTORSITE said...

Better Off Dead.....Where's my two dollars! :) Love that movie!

9/06/2006 12:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home