Thursday, September 21, 2006

Music to wash that away that horrible image

Wherein I'm threatening a public delinking

Ms Althouse claims Wham! has a perfect pop song and video. Excuse me, I just threw up lunch from two weeks ago. That's just...no...never mind. Who the hell was buying 45s in the 1980s, anyway? If you didn't buy the whole damn album, you bought the 12-inch EP.

I'm just going to spin some good music.

Chaka, rock the house:


Relax, Frankie Goes to Hollywood


You Might Think I'm Crazy won the first MTV video award in 1984. From the same year, I would've picked Herbie Hancock's Rockit; though this probably qualifies as a 1983 release:


Here's Paul Westerberg, one of rock's great songwriters, from 2004. He's singing I Will Dare from 1984's Let It Be (The Replacements). My vote for best album of the decade.


Sometimes I Wish I was a Pretty Girl, Robyn Hitchcock


Also from 1984: Art of Noise's Close to the Edit won for best editing in 1985, but wasn't even nominated for best video. Craptacular Don Henley won, beating out the following pieces of shit: Tom Petty, David Lee Roth, David Lee Roth (again), and USA for Africa -- "We Are the World" is possibly the worst song ever recorded.


You want a perfect pop song from 1984? hero takes a fall, The Bangles


This is from 1981, Romeo Void's, Never Say Never. This ain't pop, but it's pretty near a perfect song:

2 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

Indeed all choices better than the, "I'm gonna jitterbug" nonsense.

But still, all music choices are very personal choices, so I ain't gonna hate on anybody for their opinions with regards to music.

And you are really trying to piss of Doug Morris, he's gonna hunt you down.

9/22/2006 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

No real hate. I listen to enough weird-ass stuff that freaks people out to have no real business ripping other people's choices.

But when someone has on more than one occasion claimed 60s music is better than any other decade to then hold Wham! as an example of perfection...probably best to smile and back away slowly.

Ann is a creature of top 40 pop and I am not. Would be healthier to just ignore her postings on music.

9/22/2006 07:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home