Thursday, September 21, 2006

My review of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Wherein you can watch the first episode in nice little chunks forcing you to watch 10 second commercials...here


Smug, conceited, and condescending. There's something I felt more in this show than any other Sorkin show -- except for perhaps A Few Good Men, a movie that treated its audience and characters like idiots -- and that's when I am inclined to agree with him on certain, let's say, social issues, I just want to smack him and just generally disagree with him on the principle that his presentation is so unlikeable.

For a fuller takedown on Sorkin's prickitude, read Todd VanDerWerff Walking and talking: the quick wit and false heart of Aaron Sorkin's Studio 60

Otherwise, Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry were brilliant together and I'll stick around a little longer to watch them work.

1 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

All the actors are great, or at least you assume they're great.

Amanda Peet just sort of stood there and smiled the entire time, I don't think a flicker of a single emotion (beyond a slight bemusement) spread across her face the entire episode.

I don't think that was her choice either.

You forgot smarmy, this little teleplay was very smarmy as well.

Also, it really bugs me that two of the standard sets they showed for the show were the yellow taxi cab and the graffiti'd subway.

Those sets are very NYC, yet the show is set here in Los Angeles.

I know they're trying to emphasize the SNL-ness of the show, but set it in NYC, then.

If you want to come out here, reflect that in the show, damnit.

And the Sarah Paulson, I'm a Christian, but I'm not one of those fundanutter type Christians, character will get old very, very quickly (although she's one of my favorite comic actresses, I just don't see this character being given a whole lot to do).

9/21/2006 02:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home