Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A question is asked and answered

Wherein I have an expert to consult

Geekpress asks Does anyone really need laser-guided scissors?

As The Wife is involved in many activities of a sewing nature, and has a degree in Textile Engineering, I posed the question to her:
I kind of get it. But don't understand why a sewer would really need them. Most garments aren't full of straight lines, and even curtains while they do have some lines, there are lots of curves and corners. And quilters use a rotary cutter and a ruler for their strips. So don't see why anyone would need it. Just another gadget.

4 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose for lasers in a sewer.

To scare the rats?

(maybe that's why seamstress/seamster/tailor are preferred terms)

9/19/2006 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Avoid the rats?

9/19/2006 06:01:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Speaking of sewers, that's where every sewing project (aside from things ONLY involving straight lines, and even then) I've ever undertook belongs.

Years ago, I took sewing in a middle school, and I was completely untalented.

Years later, I thought: Well, that's probably just what I had stuck in my young adolescent mind.

So I took a sewing course when my kid was still really little (with fantasies that I would hand-make his clothes!--at least some. Then I took the same course a second time.

By the end, I had one pair of sweatpant s that I wouldn't let him wear even INSIDE our home.

I am completely untalented. In fact, now that I think about it, I'M the exat person that this gadget is probably targeted to.

Sigh.

9/19/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Have I told this story before? Now that I'm thinking about it, probably. But it really sticks in my craw. I can do other things--even with my hands. Why is sewing my nemesis?

(Oh, no. Can I possibly be unconsciously considering try, try, trying again?

Someone save me ... .)

9/19/2006 06:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home