Friday, September 22, 2006

youtube is driving me crazay

wherein I'm still rockin in the 80s


Let's see if I can piece this together.
  1. Over at ALOTT5MA, a post with links to lots of lists.
  2. One link goes to a Slate.com article exploring why everyone is covering the Gnarls Barkley song, "Crazy."
  3. I click the YouTube link and watch the video. Hey, that's pretty good! Somehow I've heard this before, at least the opening hook.
  4. Now when I hear someone say "crazy" I don't think of Gnarls Barkley or Patsy Cline. Nope, I'm thinking Jesse Johnson.
  5. Here's the Jesse Johnson wiki. I had no idea he was on all those soundtracks.
  6. For some odd reason Shockadelica is his only album that I own. I say odd, because it's one of my favorite albums from the 80s.
  7. Shockadelica is filled with great music, though it's most known for having one of the few Sly Stone performances in the last 20 years.
  8. Ignore the 80s fashions and the drum kit and just listen. This is still a phenomenal song.



More Jesse:

1 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

There's a reason Minneapolis gets their own Genre on my mp3 music library.

It's a distinct style, different from the rest of neo soul, hip hop, rap, or funk.

Sal Masakela described the new Timberlake album as (I paraphrase), 'if Prince were a white boy did time in a boy band, this is the album he'd make'.

Still not enough to get me to buy an album from Justin Timberlake, however.

People at the time discounted the 'bandness' of The Revolution, but clearly the influence on Prince from The Revolution was also pretty strong as his style changed considerably when they disbanded.

9/23/2006 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home