Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Kentrivia 15

Wherein I know I skipped next last week, just let it go


First, Ken begins with a confession:
I've been pitching softballs for the last several weeks and I know it. Thirty-two perfect scores again last week. Thirty-two! Where did I go wrong? I'm still playing fair this week--no tricks, no curve balls--but I think the material is harder. My goal is to have few enough perfect scores next week that I can actually list all the winners, just like in the good old days.


Just great. Softballs, huh? Might as well get this beating over with.

But first, let's review his answer for one of last week's questions:
Which book of the Bible also names one of the felines in T. S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats? Old Deuteronomy is the T.S. Eliot (or, heaven help us, Andrew Lloyd Webber) cat in question. One reader points out that "Peter" and "James" ought to be acceptable as well, since their mentioned as potential cat names in "The Naming of Cats." But I disagreed and marked 'em wrong, because I'm a real bastard that way.

One, that's funny. Two, hey, Brainiac! You misspelled their/they're! That little feeling of superiority I'm feeling, I'll hold onto like a life preserver as I go 0 for 7.
  1. Went with Madison, which was a good guess but wrong. The Wife is in charge of remembering names, even so, I cannot think of any Emilys in The Child's classes.
  2. I wrote: "sunday picnic seurat." I'm counting this as a correct answer.
  3. ??????
  4. If this had been multiple choice, I would not have recognized his name.
  5. Score! Now that's what I call a quality guess. Thinking an arrow probably signifies moving, stuff going forward, then some sort of transport company would make sense. UPS probably doesn't work, nor does DHS. Even though I can't picture it, I settle on the logo of the company that turned Tom Hanks into a castaway.
  6. I guessed Wayne Gretzky. Researching -- I've never heard of Howley or Richardson -- all three were MVPs in their sport's championship game. If this is the answer, then Gretzky is correct. Interestingly, Howley and Richardson are MVPs unelected to the hall of fame. There's a trivia question: for basketball and hockey, find two championship MVPers not elected to their sport's HOF. And almost interesting was discovering that Howley and West both went to WVU. But no mention of Richardson going to WVU.
  7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. cities? Don't know. Perhaps I'll find it later.

Two confirmed kills, possibly a third. Best result in a month.

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

On question six the distinction is winning the Championship round/game MVP for a losing team.

Perusing this list at NHL.com, Jean-Sebastian Giguere of the Mighty Ducks would be the most recent NHL player who qualifies.

(and Gretzky was never an MVP from a losing Cup Finals team)

I never would have figured this one out without extensive googling.

10/10/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Thanks. that was a tricky one. Any ideas for #7?

10/10/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

As far as #7, not a single clue.

As far as #3, this and this link might help.

10/11/2006 12:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home