Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Six songs everyone should own

Wherein doesn't mean you'll recognize the lyrics


But give it your best shot. Time is up. Answers are now included

  1. Madame Butterfly, Malcolm McLaren. From Fans, his reintepretation of opera. For someone who hated music and was a bastard of a human being, McLaren created some interesting music. There is a video (youtube). Connection with the story is tenuous, but I'm sure about 50% of the population will find it visually stimulating.
    Gotta have something to believe in
    My white honky I do miss him
    Some day soon he'll come around
    Just to stop my nervous breakdown

  2. Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But the Rent, Gwen Guthrie. video (myspacetv)
    'Cause nothin' from nothin', leaves nothin'
    You got to have somethin' if you want to be with me
    Oh life is just serious, love's too mysterious
    A fly girl like me needs security

  3. Memories, Slick Rick. This song is a classic, while most of the CD is so-so.
    Member seeing Shaft in the movie theater back then?
    I feel Richard Roundtree got him a fly deal
    Black man wearin' bell bottom and high heels
    Laughed a lot, some action mass production

  4. Mistress of the Senator, Audra McDonald. From the musical, Hello Again, which I have not heard. Just have the McDonald CD.
    Hire me to work on your image.
    I'll manipulate the press.
    We'll buy a registered house with a Georgetown address
    We'll write the place off
    As a work expense and screw the I.R.S.

  5. Lady Cab Drive, Prince. Kinda cheated you on the lyrics.
    Don't know where I'm goin' 'cuz I don't know where I've been
    So just put your foot on the gas -- let's drive

  6. Cold Cold Ground, Tom Waits. Maybe my favorite by him--youtube
    Gimme a winchester rifle and a whole box of shells
    Blow the roof off the goat barn
    Let it roll down the hill
    The piano is firewood
    Times square is a dream

6 Comments:

Blogger Ahistoricality said...

Not a clue, and I suspect I won't actually know any of the songs when you tell us.

7/31/2007 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger justkim said...

I know No. 4!

I prefer "Tom" from that score though. It just soars.

7/31/2007 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Bonus points! I've never heard the score or cast album. Is there a cast album? I'd love to hear that.

7/31/2007 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger justkim said...

There is a cast album, availalbe at both Amazon and iTunes. It's got Donna Murphy, Carolee Carmello, Judy Blazer, Michelle Pawk, Malcolm Gets, John Cameron Mitchell, and a couple of other guys. Are you familiar with the show or its structure at all?

7/31/2007 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

justkim, you wouldn't happen to be familiar with the musical Eubie, would you? It was on Broadway for a couple years and I know it from the Showtime channel production (1981). Starred the Hines brothers. Searching Amazon, looks like it's never been on DVD. Saw a cast album LP back around 1985 and I regret not buying it.

8/01/2007 08:14:00 AM  
Blogger justkim said...

I have heard of Eubie!, but I've never seen or heard anything directly from the show. I know that it's basically a revue of Eubie Blake songs. I found the song list here. I'm sure you can find most of the songs on other Eubie Blake compilations, though mostly proably not by anyone from the cast. The original cast list is here.

8/02/2007 08:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home