Friday, December 14, 2007

All boxscores all the time

Wherein I attended my first professional baseball game at Tiger Stadium in Detroit, maybe 1970. In Little League I played third base and wore an Aurelio Rodriguez glove.


Matt Welch linked to a baseball historian interview and in his comments someone left a link to Retrosheet, a group "founded in 1989 for the purpose of computerizing play-by-play accounts of as many pre-1984 major league games as possible."

Excellent! Yay internet!

While I no longer have any idea what my first Detroit Tigers game was, I do know what my first Minnesota Twins game was. Because it was August 1978 (we'd just moved there) and they were playing the Tigers. And I remember the Tigers hitting for the cycle in the first inning. Let's review the record.

Monday, August 21, 1978, Tigers win 9-6. Checking the first inning:
TIGERS 1ST: LeFlore was called out on strikes; Wockenfuss
singled to center; Staub doubled to left [Wockenfuss to third];
Parrish tripled to right [Wockenfuss scored, Staub scored];
Rodriguez hit a sacrifice fly to right [Parrish scored]; Stanley
struck out; 3 R, 3 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Tigers 3, Twins 0.

Huh...single, double, triple, fly out. For almost 30 years, a cherished memory has been wrong. Damn you, evil internet!

1 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

Memory usually beats reality.

Beware those who confuse the two.

12/14/2007 07:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home