Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Must be Tuesday

Wherein last week was four correct answers: Oregon & New Jersey, Andy Griffith, Jimmah, and Bad News Bears


1. no clue
2. Swiss Army knife
3. Did "LA Confidential" win the Oscar? I can't remember. That's my first thought, but my second thought is it's an older film. Even though I don't know if it won the Oscar I'm tempted to go with "Singing in the Rain." But that's probably Hollywood, not Los Angeles. I'll stick with my first thought.
4. Nascar
5. Rhine
6. Heidi
7. First thought was these are all the countries that James Bond visited (in the novels). But "Live and Let Die" was in Jamaica, not Haiti. I thought it might be sports related, but not what I was thinking. No guess.

OK, here's a soquotedbonus question, based on researching Ken's #7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, and no others? Australia, Croatia, Czechoslavakia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, United States.

5 Comments:

Blogger P_J said...

2. Yes, Swiss Army Knife.
3. Did "Chinatown" win? That's my guess. Unless it's "Out of Africa." L.A. is definitely out of Africa.
4. Scrapple?
5. Thames, I think. I believe the King of England commissioned the piece. Handel spent a good bit of time in England, anyway.

12/18/2007 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger XWL said...

1. Her first album was called, "Songs in A Minor" (she wrote many of them before she turned eighteen, so the reference is to her age rather than the key)

2. My uncle just gave me a keychain sized one for Christmas, so definitely the army knife best used when defending the Pope.

3. LA Confidential didn't win (I think that was the American Beauty year), Chinatown didn't win (that was one of the Godfather years), the craptacular Crash must be the answer (in a poll of critics last year came in 74th out of 75 Best Picture winners, besting only The Greatest Show on Earth).

4. Having watched the awesome Amish in the City when it was on UPN I know that the term he's looking for is Rumspringa (the term refers to the 'wild' time for Amish youth between childhood and adulthood where they are allowed to experience the evils of modern culture so that when they come back to Amish ways, it's out of knowledge and not ignorance)

Regarding #7, figuring out how Haiti relates to the others would seem to be the key. It's an outlier compared to the others.

As far as the soquotedbonus question, the birth countries of Bill Clinton's current girlfriends?

12/18/2007 04:58:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

"Rumspringa" - that's the term I was trying to remember. But the way the question was worded I kinda thought Jennings was thinking of a more common term and I had no answer.


ANSWER: the only countries to have won the Davis Cup. South Africa won because their opponent, India, refused to play them.

12/19/2007 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger XWL said...

Wait, when did Italy win? I can't recall a single Italian star tennis player (the ridiculously hot Gabriela Sabatini was Argentine).

Was that Davis Cup winning team lead by Super Mario and his brother Luigi?

(Who didn't love Mario Tennis?)

12/19/2007 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

1976 with a bunch of guys I've never heard of.


I draw a line in the sand and dare anyone to cross it: Gabriela Sabatini = hottest athlete ever

12/19/2007 02:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home