Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Quizzalator

Wherein if you visit Savannah and take one of the bus tours and visit the Bethesda Home For the Boys, the country's oldest orphanage, and the tour director, Vicky, tells you that Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's was an orphan and spent much of his childhood at the Bethesda Home For the Boys, the country's oldest orphanage, and you get home and look this up because you want to be accurate in your scrapbook you will be mildly disappointed in your otherwise pleasant tour director, Vicky, because while Dave Thomas was an orphan for all of six weeks after his birth, none of this time was spent in Bethesda Home For the Boys, the country's oldest orphanage, nor Savannah, nor Georgia, nor anywhere else in the Southeast



1. I bet the answer is in some dusty old book I've never read.
2. I only recognize Alamein from WWII, I'll go with Montgomery.
3. teeth
4. Dave Thomas, who later created Wendy's. The guy was a fast food genius.
5. Congo?
6. Appropriately? A movie about bees? Only thing I can think of is Van Morrison singing "Tupelo Honey."
7. I know 5 of the songs (don't recognize the ones by Wu-Tang, Blondie, or AC/DC) and because of "Mustang Sally I've always been able to remember the name of the first American female in space. But Sally Ride wasn't the first American woman astronaut. She was one of six women in her training class and Jerrie Cobb made it through the Mercury Astronaut Selection Tests in 1959. Seems like she'd be a perfect subject for a movie.

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

1. Dusty old book seems like a good guess, so I'd guess Wuthering Heights

2. Wouldn't know, don't care, two Brit questions in a row, though.

3. I think for Octopii, their mouth parts are called a beak, not teeth

5. Senegal is the smallest African nation, and the only nation completely encased in another nation, I think (Gambia in this case), it runs along both banks of the Senegal river till it empties into the Atlantic.

6. Didn't see the movie, have no desire to ever see the movie, but I'd bet dollars to donuts (which always seemed like a strange bet to make) that the performer would be "Sting", a name appropriate for a douchebag, and a douchebag bee within a bad animated picture.

7. I liked the answer to last week's question seven, can't even begin to formulate the beginning of a guess on this one.

2/12/2008 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Just in case y'all are still guessing, at the snopes thread it looks like they've cracked #7 and the consensus is not going with Senegal.

2/13/2008 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger XWL said...

Just take every instance where I write "Senegal" and replace it with "The Gambia" and vice versa, then we should be in accord.

I always forget which country is the sliver, and which is the engulfer.

Guess, that means the river is also named "Gambia", and not "Senegal" (which fits in with the 'find and replace' suggestion above).

I'm just surprised my other guesses were correct (according to the Snopesians).

2/13/2008 07:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home