Friday, April 11, 2008

Last week's #7 was the worst ever

Wherein DSL provider was down for a few days and is currently back up; but the rumor is the provider has money problems and customers are abandoning ship like making popcorn on the stove and leaving the top off the pot


Well worth $10: April issue of Mojo for the 15-track CD compilation The New Dictionary of Blues and Soul. Great music and I might even read a couple of the articles before I throw the magazine away.

Current favorite beer is Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Full of flavor without necessarily being as heavy as my usual porter or stout. Just realized the local store of alcohol carried it and decided it was a good night to have a drink. I'll have to check back and see if they'll get the 120 Minute IPA in June. Sounds wicked.

1991: almost forgotten with the DSL blackout. parent post.
There had to have been more, but going by this wiki list of 1991 music, I know I bought these albums/CDs that year:

The Reality of My Surroundings, Fishbone
Why Do Birds Sing?, Violent Femmes
The Ghosts That Haunt Me, Crash Test Dummies
Luck of the Draw, Bonnie Raitt
The Low End Theory, A Tribe Called Quest
And Now, the Legacy Begins, Dream Warriors

Best concert of the year would be Fishbone with Bytches With Problems opening. Packed in near the stage, my glasses were knocked off when I was kicked in the head by a crowdsurfer. I bent down to try and rescue them and three people pulled me up. Probably saved my life.

Second best concert of the year was probably seeing the Violent Femmes do an acoustic show on a river boat in the middle of the Mississippi.

Third best goes to A Tribe Called Quest. I dragged along a friend claiming "this band is going to be huge!" Crowd consisted of the two of us and eight Japanese tourists.

I can't explain it, I've never purchased any music by her, but Amy Grant's Baby, Baby has some weird kryptonitelike powers over me. I could listen to that song all day.


1. Loud?
2. I think it's a cookie. Something with "crosses" in the name.
3. B and C. Hmmm.
4. French and Polish. Hmmm
5. uhhhhhh.
6. Darts
7. Who the hell cares anymore? He's just making this crap up. While I appreciate the effort -- hey, you try doing this every week (to paraphrase Foolio the puppet from last Saturday morning in the slightly different context of an improv live action show [with puppets] for children) -- I'm also not spending much time with it. Names of artists who recorded Hillbilly records.

4 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

2. Hot Cross Buns maybe?
4. France, Poland, Scientest, must be Marie Curie, then.
5. Dalits are the second lowest caste in India, the Untouchables (there's a caste even lower, they are the Unseeables, which probably wouldn't make for a good TV Show)
7. Bible, really, we're hitting the Bible now? Some are Old, some are New Testament, don't know enough about any of these folks biblical story to figure out a distinction.

As far as 1991, I remember buying Divinyls by Divinyls, When You're a Boy by Susanna Hoffs (and I make no apologies for that choice), The White Room by The KLF, Everybody's Angel by Tanita Tikarim, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, by The Orb, Hoodoo by Alison Moyet, Why Do Birds Sing? by Violent Femmes, 5,000,000 by Dread Zeppelin, De La Soul is Dead by De La Soul, Mighty Like a Rose by Elvis Costello, OG Original Gangster by Ice T, Nevermind by Nirvana, The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest, Diamonds and Pearls by Prince, Heartbeat by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Orbital by Orbital, and finally, The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move . . . It's the Infectious Grooves, by Infectious Grooves (and I recommend searching out that album, it's great).

I used to buy way too many albums.

As far as concerts, went to the first Lollapalooza that year, which was fun, can't say for certain what else I saw, all concerts attended from about 1988-1992 kind of blur together.

4/16/2008 12:56:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Lollapalooza. Oh yeah, I saw that. Don't remember too much of it. It was three days after I lost a job and two days after I slammed into a car door while riding my bike. F=ma is a real bitch...and I still have the scars to prove it.

4/16/2008 08:07:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Of Dread Zeppelin, all I have is Un-Led-Ed. Came across it around 1993 and it's such a weirdly perfect album I was afraid to try anything else by them and be disappointed.

4/16/2008 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

The Infectious Grooves are a funk metal band led by Suicidal Tendencies frontman Mike Muir. It also features former Excel guitarist Adam Siegel, ex-Suicidal Tendencies, now Metallica, bassist Robert Trujillo, and ex-Jane's Addiction drummer Stephen Perkins. To date, the project released four albums between 1991 and 2000.

Add this to the list of things I should know about but don't

4/16/2008 08:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home