Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Things learned today

Wherein screw you trivia guy I'm taking a point for last week's answer of life


*****************************
The lesson, as always: it's better to do heroin and then stop doing heroin and then lose the Home Run Derby after an impressive first round than it is to not do heroin and then keep not doing heroin and then win the Home Run Derby after a pedestrian first round. Of course, I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard a thousand times already.
*****************************


1. I'm assuming he means baseball, football, basketball, and hockey, because NASCAR could probably replace hockey and I wonder if MLS is closing in at all. Atlanta & Denver
2. 6 days of the condor. I knew that was the name of the book, but only learned last week that Pollack was the director. Great movie.
3. One of those dinky Caribbean countries. All I'm thinking of is Dutch Antilles. Is that even a country or a collection of islands?
4. Can't think of any Jill Sobule songs and Katy Perry doesn't sound familiar. So I'll guess "I'm chopping my cat in half and fed it to the dogs." That sucked, I typed twelve words and not a single one matched any in the correct answer.
5. Buddhism
6. I've read a number of books about WWII this year, which are no help in trying to answer a question about WWI.
7. I've seen #s 1, 6, 7, 8; though it's been so long since I've seen YSH the memory is unreliable. I'll start my guess with thinking the distinction has something to do with a narrator leading me to go with "How I Met Your Mother." After thinking on it a bit and realizing it doesn't specify current TV show -- ACS, ARRTI, and TKAM are all adult narrators retelling stories of their childhood. This would be more "The Wonder Years" than "HIMYM."

Not bad, looks like four, possibly five depending on #3.

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

1. Atlanta and Denver sound correct, and Hockey really isn't "major league" in the United States anymore.

3. Depends on your definition of Carribean. Suriname (formerly Dutch Guiana) is the answer, I think. All those little islands are still Dutch possessions, and not independent.

4. There was a Throwing Things discussion about the song last week (Does this mean Ken reads Throwing Things?)

5. Indeed, but what's the reason behind the schism?

6. Haven't a clue, would guess De Tocqueville, though.

7. Strange grouping of films. I think you're right about the similarity, and Wonder Years being the TV show to add. But wait, the real news, You've never seen A Christmas Story!!!?!?!!!????!?!????

Back to number 5, case you were wondering, it's what happens after you reach Nirvana, Mahayana believe that we each become part of the big one soul (hence "maha" or big), where as the Theravada school believes that each individual monad or soul upon attaining Nirvana becomes a universe unto itself empty of everything. As far as schisms go, it's pretty huge, but Buddhist being the way they are, haven't ever bothered killing each other over the different interpretations like proper faiths do.

And the Josh Hamilton story, just a tad overblown, not really all that inspirational, and some sports writers insinuate that wouldn't get the same press if he were a non-white player.

7/15/2008 08:43:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Yes, I've A Christmas Story. Must of screwed up the numbering.

7/15/2008 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

I figured it would have been more likely that you hadn't seen Butcher Boy, then A Christmas Story (given the 25 hours of Christmas Story on TNT each Christmas), though Butcher Boy is the best film with Sinead O'Connor playing the Virgin Mary ever made.

7/15/2008 09:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home