Friday, August 15, 2008

Not Dark Yet

Wherein Tosy and Cosh (I always want to write Cosy and Tosh, by the way) is listing his top 100 songs I think I prefer the bottom of the list but it's his list not mine so screw me Anyway the Bob Dylan version of this is #28


I like Dylan and I like the way he sings. So I don't think I'm out of line stating his voice has seen better days. I actually find the version Tosy and Cosh links to be very pedestrian and tired in a "bored with this song" way.

On the other hand, Robyn Hitchcock's cover flat out stuns me. There's more a ferocity to survive than resignation and while the fates might be predestined the protaganist isn't going down without a fight. Hitchcock is a huge Dylan and covers him as well as anyone. If you like this, he has an entire album of live Dylan covers. Recommended with my highest marks -- I give it a Michael Phelps.



Here's Robyn singing one of his own songs. Also one of my favorites.

4 Comments:

Blogger bill said...

*Cosy and Tosh, masters of riddum. Available for weddings and mitzvahs. Call after 6pm.

8/15/2008 07:12:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

The above youtube version of "Not Dark Yet" is better than the version that appears on Hitchcock's "Robyn Sings" collection. Doing some quick looking around, looks like it comes from the DVD Robyn Hitchcock: Sex, Food, Death....and Insects. That goes on the list of stuff I need to get.

Whether or not you're interested in Robyn Hitchcock, click that Amazon link and read the 1-star review their. It's something.

8/15/2008 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

there

sorry about thatt

8/15/2008 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Tosy And Cosh said...

I like this, actually, (especially the mandolin-like accompaniment)but would have to cop to preferring Dylan's take. That bored quality you note I read as a very peaceful and serene acceptance that moves me somehow. Will definitely check out the live cover album you mention though!

8/19/2008 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home