Tuesday, November 18, 2008

IX Alternative Tuesday Trivia

Wherein real weighty stuff today


  1. Why did Serena Williams not vote?

  2. Hey, Superman, who did Lou Reed marry earlier this year? Hint -- she created the tape-bow violin.

  3. What store sold the Tandy TRS-80?

  4. Now spending his time as a Segway polo player, he once used his earnings as an early home computer impresario to fund the US Festivals in 1982 and 1983.

  5. Born Raymond Joseph Teller, the silent half of Penn and Teller claims to possess one of the few United States passports issued in what?

  6. Sally Fields and Burt Reynolds made four movies together. Not counting Smokey and the Bandit (I & II), name one.

  7. For the Academy Award for Best Actress, who received nominations in 1977, 1978, and 1979, winning once.

  8. From 1980-1989, Meryl Streep was nominated 5 times for the Academy Award for Best Actress. Two other actresses were nominated 3 times during the same period, name one.

6 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

1. Ex-con (or not).
2. Laurie Anderson, they've been together a long time, surprised they just now decided to get married. (did I ever tell the story involving my ex-girlfriend, her breasts, Lou Reed, and Gordon Gano?)
3. Trash 80s, TRS stands for Tandy-Radio Shack, I believe.
4. The Woz, the Wozinator, the Woztastic one, the Wozziwozziwoowoo, ummm Steve Wozniak
5. Esperanto?
6. I'd rather not.
7. Vanessa Redgrave?
8. Debra Winger?

11/18/2008 02:30:00 AM  
Blogger XWL said...

As far as this week's Ken goes...

1. 24
2. Netherlands, Luxemborg
3. ???
4. Samurai
5. Bono and some other dude (or dudette) whose name ends in a 'no' sound (I guess I'll have to go with Dunno)
6. Honey
7. OK, I admit it, I don't know how Ken knew this, but I've slept with all these actresses, I'm not proud of this fact, these things happen, and they are all (or were) lovely people (and I know what you're thinking, Crawford died when I was 7, she was my first, I didn't know it was a forbidden or felonious love back then), still working on adding Salma Hayek to the list.

11/18/2008 02:46:00 AM  
Blogger XWL said...

Wow, turns out I have told the Lou Reed story before.

(towards the bottom of that lengthy post)

11/18/2008 02:51:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

KENGUESSES:

1. 32
2. Luxomberg & Holland. Unless they're talking about South Carolina and FLorida.
3. -----
4. Samurai, unless it's ninja turtles
5. -----
6. Honey
7. My first instinct is to think that Pam Grier is the key to this. Unfortunately, I don't know much about her work, unless they all played a character called Foxy Brown.

11/18/2008 08:56:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

I'd forgotten the Lou Reed story. Looking back at that, what amuses me is that I mentioned PJ Harvey on the Gordon Gano CD and completely forgot that Lou Reed sings a song on it.

I have the Lou Reed album, "New Sensations" queued up at the vox site for 45and33, I just need to write something about it to make a post.

11/18/2008 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

ANSWERS

1. She's a Jehovah's Witness. NY Times.

2. Laurie Anderson. This was new[s] to me. Didn't even know they were involved.

3. Radio Shack

4. Wozniack

5. Issued in a single name, so he claims. He did have his name legally changed to just Teller.

6. The End and Hooper

7. Jane Fonda

8. I did a poor job of counting, Jessica Lange and Sissy Spacek were both nominated 4 times.

11/19/2008 01:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home