Sunday, March 01, 2009

February reading

Wherein January

  1. Tale of Despereaux, Kate Dicamillo

  2. Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon

  3. The Calculus Wars, Jason Bardi

  4. 1491, Charles C. Mann

  5. The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread, Peter Reinhart. In April I will have a second class with Reinhart's Charlotte colleague, Chef Harry Peemoeller.

  6. Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson

  7. Stalky & Co., Rudyard Kipling

  8. Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, Thomas De Quincey

  9. Sissy Nation: How America Became a Culture of Wimps & Stoopit, John Strausbaugh

  10. Coraline , Neil Gaiman


And audio books:
  • True Grit, Charles Portis (read by Donna Tartt)
  • Sisters Grimm, the Fairytale Detectives, Michael Buckley
  • Paradise Lost, John Milton

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

I've read three of those (but not last month), last month I think I only completed one book (The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan, kind of average sword and scorcery, but with a gay protagonist as a twist).

I passionately disliked Crying of Lot 49 when I read it, maybe cause it was for a class, and the teacher was a bit of a dolt (though I do love the name, Yoyodyne for a fake corporation).

(I recall Rocketdyne having a small office two blocks from my house, Santa Monica used to be littered with aerospace companies, all gone now)

3/01/2009 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Crying of Lot 49 did not do much for me. I'd been interested in some Pynchon and a number of people told me to start with this book. I think I'm done.

3/01/2009 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger BTDGreg said...

Nice list.

We read The Tale of Despereaux to our kids, and I was surprised how dark it was. I think Kate DiCammilo is a great writer, though.

I keep starting and restarting The Crying of Lot 49 (which is silly, given how short it is). I enjoy it every time I try to read it.

Coraline is a great book. I've just started The Graveyard Book (the new one that Gaiman just won the Newberry for), and it's in a similar vein.

3/02/2009 12:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home