Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Making playlists

Wherein crumbs for the masses


Working on a couple of themed playlists to burn to CDs. Much easier than the old days of constructing mixtapes. No more spending massive amounts of time shuffling song orders around trying to create "feel" and then making the tape, finding it didn't work, and starting all over. There was just a whole lot of paper and pen work before even beginning taping.

Now I usually just dump a bunch of songs into a playlist and run through it on random a few times. I might go ahead and decide on a few beginning or end songs or know I want to transition certain songs together, but for the most part, the organic order suggested by random play works as well as anything I can do.

As a current example there's one song I'm removing because it doesn't work anywhere. It isn't a bad song, just disrupts any flow it's in. Otherwise, all the other songs from pop, punk, jazz, classical, and "other" genres work well together.

2 Comments:

Blogger chickelit said...

Bill- I just recently discovered the "genius" feature on itunes which generates playlists based on one selected song.
I can't speak for the artistic and aesthetics of this seemingly effortless tool, but as a host who regularly supplies musical background for home social events, I can say that the guests appreciate it (or perhaps they're relived not hearing yet another of my "epic mixes." :)

word verification: minion

6/10/2009 10:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My experience's with the Genius feature left me extremely underwhelmed. Probably due to testing songs iTunes doesn't know. I started writing about this awhile ago and even made a bunch of screen shots. Maybe I'll look around and see if I kept any of it.

But in this instance I was creating a mix with a specific theme, so Genius wouldn't have helped even I wanted to use it.

billquoted

6/10/2009 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home